This recipe combines just four key ingredients – ripe bananas, avocados, almond butter and cocoa powder. When these ingredients are whisked together their natural textures and flavours form a delicious light and velvety chocolate mousse.
Health Benefits – easy dessert recipe, only four ingredients and healthy
Prep: 10 Minutes | Servings: 4
Bananas contain dietary fibre that helps nutrients move through the gut. They also contain complex carbohydrates known as fructo-oligosaccharides, that help healthy gut bacteria to thrive. Almonds are rich in prebiotics including dietary fibre which is metabolised by bacteria in the gut and play an important part in keeping us healthy. Cocoa powder is rich in polyphenols, which the gut bacteria can metabolise into bioactive compounds which have a number of positive effects in the body including helping the immune system function well.
3 medium ripe bananas
2 small ripe avocados
80g almond butter (rough or smooth)
30g cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla essence
100g of fresh berries i.e. raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- Peel and roughly chop the bananas.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the stones and scrape the flesh from the skin.
- Place the bananas and avocado in the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the almond butter, cocoa powder and vanilla essence.
- Process these ingredients for 30 seconds or until you have a smooth puree.
- Divide the chocolate mousse into serving bowls or glasses and top with berries.
Alternative serving suggestion
This chocolate mousse could be used as a dip with biscuits as a snack, or as a topping for a cake.
- Good quality peanut butter can be used instead of almond butter
- Bananas and avocados need to be ripe to add natural sweetness and velvety smoothness to this dish
- To check an avocado is ripe peel back the small stem at the top of the avocado. If it comes away easily and it is green underneath the avocado is ripe and ready to eat.
|Per Serving (g)
|Per 100 g
|368 / 1527
|185 / 767
Created on 30 Mar, 2022.Print