Yummy, healthy and gluten free cake for an afternoon snack or dessert
Health Benefits – gluten free and yummy
Prep: 20 Minutes | Cooking time: 40 – 50 Minutes | Servings: 6-10
125g soft unsalted butter/sunflower margarine, at room temperature
125g caster sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten and at room temperature
50g buckwheat flour or plain flour
50g plain gluten free flour
1 tsp baking powder
50g ground almonds
2 tsp vanilla essence
4 tbsp Greek yogurt
2 tsp poppy seeds
grated zest of a lime
50g crushed hazelnuts or flaked almonds
2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas mark 5.
- Butter and line a 20 – 22cm cake tin with silicone baking paper (you can use two smaller tins if you would like to make two cakes).
- Beat the butter/sunflower margarine and caster sugar together until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the egg – beating it into the mixture until well incorporated.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder together and fold these into the butter, sugar and egg mixture together with the ground almonds.
- Add the vanilla essence, to the Greek yogurt and gradually fold this into the cake mixture together with the poppy seeds and lime zest.
- Finally stir in about a third of the raspberries into the cake mixture.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin/s and arrange the raspberries and crushed hazel nuts around the top of the cake.
- Bake the cake/s in the oven for 40 – 50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the tin and allow it to cool on a rack.
- Serve slices of cake with a dribble of maple syrup and some more raspberries if you like.
Created on 16 Mar, 2022.Print