This soul-warming, flavor-packed soup will leave you craving every spoonful. It combines the creamy richness of red lentils with the exotic allure of aromatic curry spices, resulting in a delightful blend of textures and tastes that are both satisfying and nutritious.
Health Benefits – soy free, gluten free, low sugar, nut free
Prep: 15 Minutes
Author’s note: This hearty soup, in all its comforting glory, is one of my all-time favorites. It’s so very good on a cold night with a warm loaf of crusty bread, and it comes together in just about an hour. It’s also excellent for when you have company. Make it a day or two ahead of time; it just seems to improve with time, and it freezes well.
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
3–4 stalks celery, chopped
3¾ cups red lentils, rinsed
1 Tbsp cumin
¾ tsp turmeric
1½ tsp coriander
2 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp curry or spicy curry
8 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
Juice of one freshly squeezed lemon (around ¼ cup)
Slow Cooker Instructions
- Add all ingredients except water and lemon juice to a large slow cooker pot.
- Cover and cook on the high setting for 5 hours.
- Use an immersion blender to create an even creamier texture, if desired. Stir in the water and fresh lemon juice, and serve hot.
- Add all ingredients except the lemon juice to a large soup pot. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils cook down to a smooth creamy soup.
This soup pairs wonderfully with diced boiled potatoes, baby green peas, whole wheat pasta, or brown rice.
Recipe has been graciously provided T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies
Created on 01 Nov, 2023.Print